New Logitech G5 Mouse Review by Nytejade

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

New Logitech G5 Mouse Review by Nytejade

Postby nonstop » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:21 am

This is a review of the new g5 from logitech from nytejade of the LOB clan. Nytejade is and has been a serious ut2k4 player for some time and a very good one at that. I used to spec him playing 1on1 with stryfe last year earlier in the year.

He really likes this new mouse as they have made a cord that doesn't get caught as easy, added more resolution, a better grip and most importantly upped the usb rate to full 1.1 compliance which is above anything out there.

Take a look: http://www.nytejade.com/review.php

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:52 pm

"...it's not worth the difference in price, yet, unless you're a gadget geek. And it certainly won't help you be better at games. Only practice can do that."

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:15 pm

Hoss wrote:"...it's not worth the difference in price, yet, unless you're a gadget geek. And it certainly won't help you be better at games. Only practice can do that."

That's fair as long as you put some other comments he made.

"Let the length of this review be evidence to the superiority of this mouse. There are so many good features and improvements. It's just a blast to use!"

"I've heavily used the 510, MX1000, 518, and Diamondback, and can say without question this is the most accurate mouse I've ever had the pleasure of using. The jump from 1600dpi to 2000dpi isn't nearly as significant as the jump from 800dpi to 1600dpi, but the improvement in accuracy reminds of when I switched from the 510 (800dpi) to the Diamondback (1600dpi). It's really that good."

"Anyone who's played a game for more than a few hours can gripe to you about the frustrations of mice cords. Here we see the G5's cord is wrapped in some sort of non-stick material. It's been quite useful in my setup, where my 518's cord had to be positioned just right so it wouldn't snag."

"Another huge improvement is the mouse's feet. Forget buying those pricey sticky things to tape underneath your mice, the G5's Polytetrafluoroethylene feet are made of the same stuff."

"There is a sect of gamers I've found like to modify their mice. A few I know, personally, have gone as far as removing a "stock" weight in their Logitech mice. Others have increased the weight by adding materials into their mice. Whether you like a heavy or light mouse you'll have the option to highly customize the weight of your G5."

So what's not to like?

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:35 pm

NS - I just spent $60 on a Logitech gaming mouse and it pained me to spend that much on a frickin mouse in the first place. Please allow me to dawg any new mice that come out now and make mine look like a dinosaur egg. OK! LOL...

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:43 pm

:wink:

Hoss wrote:NS - I just spent $60 on a Logitech gaming mouse and it pained me to spend that much on a frickin mouse in the first place. Please allow me to dawg any new mice that come out now and make mine look like a dinosaur egg. OK! LOL...

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:20 am

I have to disagree with Hoss on this one. I bought the mx518 around 2 months ago and when I was out last week I saw the G5 so I had some money to burn and I got it. It really feels totally different. I thought at first the removable weight tray that lets you customize the mouse weight would be a gimmick but it’s awesome. I used to play with a trackball mouse in 2k3 and when I went to the laser I missed how heavy the other mouse was. Now I have to same feel back and it has helped me a bunch. Also I find that the mouse tracks with more accuracy then the 518.

I agree with NON about the cord I used to have to put a stapler on my cord so it would be just the right length not to jerk my mouse around when I set it down. Now I have no worries there either.

Houdini\
Frank

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:51 am

Dangit Houdini. Now you and clown have one!!! :oops: :twisted:

I can tell you clown is playing on a whole different level with his g5 from just what I saw last night at practice and a couple other games so I'll be eager to see how it has helped you too.

Sôöpâ Shäwtÿ

Postby Sôöpâ Shäwtÿ » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:05 pm

Yeah, Houdini was practically wiping his ass with us pretty much every match, and I'm sure as hell he wasn't that good last time I saw him.

Could a possible makeover be in the works for Yours Truly?

P.S. -- Houd, Clown, what kind of mousepads are the two of you using? Because I heard the G5 doesn't track well on certain surfaces.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:58 pm

There really is no other choice when it comes to optical gaming mouse pads

http://www.xtracpads.com/ripperXL.htm

The XTracPads Ripper XL is awesome I have had it since I had my mx510 and it rules. I tend to use pretty low sense so I looked online for a big pad that was good for laser and this is what I came up with.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:56 pm

Great pads man. I agree. If you wanna go cheap get a Bigmat at Micro Center or CompUSA for 9 bucks. Their huge and it's the exact pad that Fatality sells for more with his logo on it. I know Ace will get the fatpad. :wink: :lol:

Shadowhaxor

Postby Shadowhaxor » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:26 pm

Houdini wrote:There really is no other choice when it comes to optical gaming mouse pads

http://www.xtracpads.com/ripperXL.htm

The XTracPads Ripper XL is awesome I have had it since I had my mx510 and it rules. I tend to use pretty low sense so I looked online for a big pad that was good for laser and this is what I came up with.

What???

I prefer the Func 1030.

http://www.func.net/products/1030/index.html

Works like a dream with my mx510, smooth and I can feel the surface as I glide over it. The space it gives me is a huge plus over the other pad I used to game on....

I love this thing!
Last edited by Shadowhaxor on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:41 pm

I'm assuming you guys know what arguing about mouse pads puts you/us in a special class of 'geek' all on our own. :P

Hoss

Postby Hoss » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:32 pm

Get that pic of Ace liking Fat's ear on the pad and I will order 10.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:09 pm

nonstop wrote:I'm assuming you guys know what arguing about mouse pads puts you/us in a special class of 'geek' all on our own. :P

Yeah I was thinking that after I saw the post and thought to myself my mousepad pwns!

O well when girls hit 30 they start looking for geeks with some cash.

/:

Return to “game hardware”