LCD Monitors Suck.....

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

LCD Monitors Suck.....

Postby nonstop » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:43 pm

I just tried my moms new 19" 8ms resp. time lcd. It's a Samsung and it's very nice.

The game definately looked better but ut moves so fast that the motion blur was out of control.

I'm curious if maybe a 3ms or 4ms would help that much? I have a crt, and I get no motion blur so thank you I'll not buy into the "You have to have an LCD craze" because it's hogwash.

I did try it on a couple other games, rpg, rts, and more tactical shooters like half life 2 and farcry and it did do ok there so I can see how many of the reviews say 'great for gaming.'

UT is just different. It moves fast and there is just no way I would have one of these at least at 8ms resp. time which many reputable sites say is great for gaming. Sites such as Tomshardware, firingsquad, anandtech etc...

So, if your looking at lcds and it says great for gaming they either don't play UT or they are playing like noobs and turning at a snails pace. Or maybe they just stand in corners like dragons? Hell if that's the case it's awesome..... :lol:

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:54 pm

LCD great for gaming? Enter the twilight zone... 8)
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:46 pm

Yeah I borrowed a friend's LCD while I was building him his new comp and there was a huge difference. Does anyone know why there is the blur on LCDs and not on CRTs? I am interested in why it would be that way.

Off topic: I just watched the Rocky Horror Picture Show again. That movie pwns.

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Postby -Jeta- » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:50 pm

Yeha I am ready to go back ... my game has been off ever since i switched ... but it does make me play less often which is good so ... hmmm ????
... WTF ...

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:35 am

Yrrek wrote:Yeah I borrowed a friend's LCD while I was building him his new comp and there was a huge difference. Does anyone know why there is the blur on LCDs and not on CRTs? I am interested in why it would be that way.

Off topic: I just watched the Rocky Horror Picture Show again. That movie pwns.

LCD's have a longer persistance time... meaning when the pixel is lit, it doesn't fade as raplidly as a CRT. Back in the days when interlaced CRT's where common, an effort was made to give them longer persistance to reduce flicker. The result was the same blur you see on today's LCD's.

Me, I'm not giving back an inch of the desk space I recovered by switching to LCD's.... Not happening, you can headshot me until the cows come home.

-Jeta-
Site Admin

Postby -Jeta- » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:28 pm

The more i play with it .. the more Im getting use to it ... and I agree , I like the deskspace :)

But I am not budging on my mouse ... its back to the 510 for me !!!
... WTF ...

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:49 pm

Keep your deskspace foos! I'm keeping my 21" deskhogging NEC E1100 and my headshots!

Naix

Postby Naix » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:27 pm

roses are red....and lcd monitors suck

like my poem?
World War III will be fought using atomic weapons, the war after that will be fought using sticks and stones.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:01 pm

Naix,

Take a look at my desk, and tell me again how LCD's suck ;-)

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:42 pm

looks like you need a bigger desk so you can fit a real monitor up there =P

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:24 pm

Ya man the only thing I can say to that is, thats just more motion blur. : )

Besides that you could have got a crt and a really sweet video card/processor instead. Gheesh. (shakes head)

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:26 am

nonstop wrote:Besides that you could have got a crt and a really sweet video card/processor instead.

Once you've used a dual monitor setup for awhile, it's real hard to settle for anything less. As a software developer, I can run the application on one screen, and still have a full-screen debugger open in the other.

Last year, here at work, I brought in my old Radeon 7000, and was the first to setup 2 screens using an old 17" CRT... And now, by management order every new machine must support dual monitors, and almost every desk has a two 17" flat screens.

Of course there's the 'must be better than thou' people, one of which has 3 screens, and the other has 4 ... i think this is overkill... as I don't need an entire monitor for iTunes ;-)

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:04 pm

law.of.averages wrote:
Of course there's the 'must be better than thou' people, one of which has 3 screens, and the other has 4 ... i think this is overkill... as I don't need an entire monitor for iTunes ;-)

Yea but have you seen how sweet games with wide screen mode look on 3 monitors such as quake 3? You can literally see beside you and in front. At the same time you do a quick sweep to shoot someone and it's 3 screens of motion blur. :shock: :oops:

For a developer highly recommended. For someone playing rts/rpg/tactical fps/simulations it's still a good option and maybe even better than crts. For fast paced action games like ut/quake, not so much.

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:59 pm

i go back and forth between this setup... its all about what you are working on... sometimes i'm faster on a single screen too... just depends what kind of trance you are in ;)
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:36 pm

no, its just kuz u guys no longer have me to frag and pad ur scores
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Return to “game hardware”