mac vs pc...i guess

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

mac vs pc...i guess

Postby Sideous Prime » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:44 am

since i've been using a macbook pro for a couple weeks now, i'm going to review it and compare the mac vs. pc argument. now, let it be known that i only use the notebook for my mobile work. most of my work(95% of it) is done on a windows 7 based pc. but i have taken a fair amount of time to get to know the macbook pro and OS 10(leopard) as well. here's what i think...

as i was pricing out new notebooks i found that the 13" macbook pro was in the same price range as a comprable 14" or 15" HP or Dell. I definitely wanted a larger storage and larger memory but a smaller physical footprint. doing what i do and knowing that i could install windoze on a mac, i decided to go for it.

i got a 2.2 core 2 duo, 4 gigs of memory, 250 gig HD and all of the other typical things that come with a standard notebook. one plus was a remote, because i plan to use this as a telepromter for clients promotional videos when it's needed. only hp offers a remote control and from the reviews i read, it's iffy at best. don't shoot the messenger.

the notebook is well built, made mostly of aluminum. the trackpad is amazing. it's functions are based on the iphone/ipod touch. it's by far the best touchpad on the market. the keyboard has taken some getting used too. there is a slight space between each key and it just takes some getting used too. the keys are illuminated which is nice if you're in a dark room. The keys are nice to the touch but that's typical of most notebooks.

but there are a lot of gimicks that i guess you would expect out of a 13" notebook in this price range, but things that certainly aren't essential. but i guess i can see how fanboys would be jizzing. the apple logo that lights up, the illuminating sleep light, the magnetic power slot, the hidden superdrive tray(which by the way, i hope i never get a disc stuck in there cause if it does, it's gonna be a bitch to bet it out fuck), make it looks slick. but there's a lack of ports like DV out(stfu i shouldn't have to buy an adapter to use a dv out port). there are only two usb ports. which is fine if i'm only using two usb devices. better have a hub if you have more. which if you have a notebook of this size you probably either switch them or you don't have more than one or two usb devices anyway. and lastly, apple, your 13" display is not HD, so stop touting it as so.

leopard is good OS. there are things about it that i like...and some things i don't like. if you could put windows 7 and os 10 together you'd almost have the perfect operating system. os 10 has no registry. so for installing many applications, all you have to do is drag and drop them into the appropriate folder and VIOLA! it's that easy. there are some tasks that are just as complicated as they are in windows. so i don't know why so many people say that os 10 is so much easier that windows, it's not. it's the same. kinda like, when i exit an application(much like windoze) i want it to close. i don't want to have to go back and tell it to quite. perhaps i should have told it to quite the first time. or when i want to change a system setting, i have to go through a control panel like applet and find what i want. for a basic user those people MIGHT be right. but for power users and geeks, i strongly disagree. os10 is just as difficult to use as windows.

that brings me to the dock. the dock looks nice, works well, and serves it purpose. but why is there permanent systembar(at the top) and a dock? i don't get it. i know i can hide and move the dock, but the dock acts like the taskbar in windows, it's central to the OS. it tells you what is running, etc. the systembar provides functions for whatever applications are active, drop down menus ect. but it's always there too...wtf? it's almost like apple ripped off KDE or Gnome and made it look awesome. i guess the dock is just one of those things i have to get used too.

os 10 is built on top of unix. so it is ultra stable. it already has user account control(AKA UAC), and one that is much less intrusive than that of Vista and 7, i might add. it has boot camp, which allows you to install windows and gives you nice control over the installation. after trying to use windows for mission critical processes and getting blue screens and system failures i have learned that windows on a mac isn't meant for that. whether it's vista with no sp, with sp1, xp with sp2, or windows 7, it makes no difference. windoze on a mac is meant for typical computing. if you want mission critical processes....use a pc. yes i installed the boot camp drivers, i even updated the drivers from the manufacturer after that, didn't matter.

all in all, do i like the macbook pro. i like os 10 too. but i don't think it's amazing, unbelievable or leaps and bounds over windows. nor do i believe that you have to have a mac to do content creation. under the hood, pc and macs are essentially the same. but that's another argument. both platforms have their pros and cons.

would i buy another one? simply put...no. because of price, because of a lack of available hardware and software that i know is compatible....to say it best....the world runs on windows.
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Porkinator

Re: mac vs pc...i guess

Postby Porkinator » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:09 pm

"the illuminating sleep light ?"
You mean sheep light right ?
Did it come with a fold out picture of Stevie Jobs in the nude?
How much you pay for that anyway ?
I think you have to start using mac and stay with it to get the full benefit of it so you can learn how their little brains work.
If you had a choice of returning it and getting something else would you do it ?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Re: mac vs pc...i guess

Postby Sideous Prime » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:12 pm

total was $1349.00

that's after upping the storage to 250 and upping the memory to 4 gigs. i also got an apple remote for 20.00. no applecare or anything extra like that.

after thinking a few minutes about returning it i finally came to a conclusion. since i use this for business and personal use, no, i would not return it. bear in mind that i was looking for compatibility with apple's video and audio applications and that was a big reason i bought one.

but if i was going to recommend a notebook for typical HOME use i would recommend a PC, hands down. in fact, if i was going to get another notebook just for personal use, that's what i would get. i'd get a nice HP or a nice Dell and be happy with that. macs are nice, i think anyone who looks at them, plays around with one would say that. but the world works on windows.
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Return to “game hardware”