Well... ATI's next big card is here and....

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

Well... ATI's next big card is here and....

Postby nonstop » Sat May 19, 2007 8:43 am

booooring.... This was the nvidia 8800gtx killer that doesn't even keep up with the 8800gts in some apps and uses 100 watts more power than the gts...

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2988

Rom

Postby Rom » Sat May 19, 2007 10:53 am

Ya thats a part of crap told you pork ati wont do it right ,again the frenchy was right ,my 8800 gts 640 meg superclock own it :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Deadly Frenchies

myxxplyxx

Postby myxxplyxx » Sat May 19, 2007 11:18 am

pretty disappointing....

first amd biatchsmacked by intel...

now ati sh*its the bed and let nvidia get the edge..... :roll:

I guess we were due for a reversal.
"Green eggs and spam...I would not eat them with a fox, I would not..."

rob[GL]

Postby rob[GL] » Wed May 23, 2007 7:54 pm

You guys are retards if you believe everything you read online...

I've had one of these cards for months, and they're amazing price/performance cards, and that's the bottom line.

Sure, if you want to pay $1000 for an 8800Ultra you can do that, but you could also buy TWO radeon HD2900XT's for that price...

I guess if you don't care about money, buy Nvidia, but if you're a price concious consumer (like most people not made of money) there is no card you'd rather have.

HD2900XT is best bang for your buck, hands down, I'm sick of people mouthing off about a card they've never even used.
Everyone may piss in the pool but you have to be extra mean to do it from the high diving board.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Wed May 23, 2007 9:50 pm

rob[GL] wrote:You guys are retards if you believe everything you read online...

I've had one of these cards for months, and they're amazing price/performance cards, and that's the bottom line.

Sure, if you want to pay $1000 for an 8800Ultra you can do that, but you could also buy TWO radeon HD2900XT's for that price...

I guess if you don't care about money, buy Nvidia, but if you're a price concious consumer (like most people not made of money) there is no card you'd rather have.

HD2900XT is best bang for your buck, hands down, I'm sick of people mouthing off about a card they've never even used.

Welcome back rob...now go away again until you can come back with a message that doesn't begin with an insult and end with a whine.

Rom

Postby Rom » Thu May 24, 2007 12:08 am

I agree whit law on this one

Rob do you really thing that everyone on line doesnt know what there talking about.Come on man ati have a bad moment the 9700 pro are far behind them,and if your honnest you will admit it.

At the moment Nvidia have the best product we can buy ,thats all nothing else to say about it.If your happy whit you x2900 im glad for you but dont tell anyone that ati is more powerfull than nvidia cuz thats wrong.

I think they have a lot of work to do
The Deadly Frenchies

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Thu May 24, 2007 6:42 am

ya...

its nyce to have an opinion...the insults can go though

its completely unnecessary...

share if ud like, but knock off the the rude comments, please
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Thu May 24, 2007 7:37 am

rob[GL] wrote:You guys are retards if you believe everything you read online...

Err... Rob the card is only available from onliune retailers and wasn't released till the 10th of this month.
How did you have one of these cards for months ????
You must have some great connections with ATI.
I am just a big of a ATI fan as you (ask Rom the nvidia whore) but this card reachs 99 degress celius which is extremly hot and they still used the old 80nm dies. From all I read on the reviews it is abouth the same as a 8800GTS and the weird thing about this card is it does well at very high rsolutions and poorly (agaist the 8800gts) and standard resolutions. I really wanted this card to blow the 8800gtx out of the water but it is not the case.
They will eventually get this card right but theis card was 6 months late and it has so much potential with all the extra features but it was not really ready to be released in opinion. Both AMD and ATI
have some catching up to do and I think they will but it is going to be later this year if they do.
I bought a 8800 gts back in march cause I was impatient to wait on ATI and while the 8800gts is a good card their drivers leave a lot to be desired and I finally am getting good preformance out of it when I went to Vista. I was ready to sell the Nvidia and hop back on the ATI bandwagon when the 2900 was relased but it is not going to happen . At this point in time it seems Nvidia holds the graphics card crown and lets hope ATI gets it together soon.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Thu May 24, 2007 8:18 am

after what pork said i think hell just froze over
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Thu May 24, 2007 8:24 am

ATI makes a card that is 6mo late on release and Rob finally comes out of the woodwork again. We probably won't see him again until their next card.

More importantly though your insults, name calling and whining as law said can take a hike. We save our insults for inside the family. :wink:

rob[GL]

Postby rob[GL] » Thu May 24, 2007 10:16 am

I didn't intend to insult anyone, I didn't single anyone out either, and I guess I must have struck a nerve with a few people. I apologize, because I don't feel I've done anything wrong, if you don't like my opinion that's fine. All I said was supposed to be a blanket comment; anyone who believes everything they read online, is retarded, so I'm sorry...

Now with that out of the way;

The official card launch was May 14th. That doesn't mean ATi hasn't been sending out sample cards to select people for testing purposes, all (or most) of whom were required to sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement), which means they couldn't talk about the cards until the office product launch on May 14th.

The HD2900XT was never meant to compete against the 8800GTX/Ultra, it was meant to compete against the 8800GTS 640MB, and the HD2900XTX (1GB GDDR4) is meant to compete against the 8800GTX.

The HD2900XT (512MB GDDR3) does NOT reach 99c! At idle my HD2900XT run 55c-60c depending on ambient room temperature, and under load (benchmarking,gaming,whatever) I have never seen it go higher than 70c.

In approximately 3 months there will be a 80nm -> 65nm die shrink, and probably be called the HD2950, all of the lower end cards are already 65nm.

We can all speculate about the reason the card was delayed, but I'm convinced it was simply because AMD bought ATI right in the middle of the fabrication process.

Nvidia has had their card out for 6+ months, and they're just NOW starting to get proper Vista drivers? How do you release a product and not have proper drivers for HALF A YEAR? Talk about how much further ahead of the game NVidia is all you want.

As far as power consumption goes, dual HD2900XT's in crossfire use LESS power than Dual 8800's in SLI, and perform better too.

In fact, in F.E.A.R a single HD2900XT is able to beat DOUBLE 8800GTX's at lower resolutions. The HD2900XT only has 512MB of Video Memory, the 8800GTX has 768, and in SLI that's 1.5GB of memory allocated to NVidia... So it makes sense that with TRIPLE the amount of memory, the GTX's are going to win at higher resolutions.

I truly didn't mean to offend anyone, but I suppose I let myself get offended, because people were talking so much crap - not just on this forum... But on every forum. I say - if you haven't PERSONALLY had your hands on one to use/test/play with, then you shouldn't have an opinion...

-Rob
Everyone may piss in the pool but you have to be extra mean to do it from the high diving board.

Trinity

Postby Trinity » Thu May 24, 2007 10:41 am

In fact, in F.E.A.R a single HD2900XT is able to beat DOUBLE 8800GTX's at lower resolutions. The HD2900XT only has 512MB of Video Memory, the 8800GTX has 768, and in SLI that's 1.5GB of memory allocated to NVidia... So it makes sense that with TRIPLE the amount of memory, the GTX's are going to win at higher resolutions.

Who cares about lower resolutions? I play games at the highest resolutions they will play at. If a card will perform better at a setting that I don't use then how does that make the card better?

No I don't believe everything I read online; That is why I don't believe you saying the ATI card is the best. I do, however, believe in numbers. From what I've seen this finally released ATI still doesn't beat the nVidia cards which have been out for a while now. I loved my 9500 Pro and before that I loved my GeForce 3. Maybe ATI will catch up again by the time I upgrade... you know... 2012.

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Thu May 24, 2007 11:27 am

lower resolutions don't mean jack $h!t. you may be able to play ut2k4 on a geforece2 at 640x480. now tell me your almighty ati is going to stand up to that? now i agree that your hd2900xt is far superior to geforce2. but come on, lower resolutions?

am i biased, hell no. i had a geforce2. killer card....for it's time. i had a 9700 pro. killer card, still a great card. but it died. now i've got a 6800gs and it works great. will ati make a better card someday, yes. but today is not that day.

i agree with trinity, i don't believe everything i read online either. in fact, i try not to believe anything i hear from fanboys at all. they just have heavily biased opinions. you have to do your reasearch. every source will have different scores, different numbers, so you to draw your own conclusions.

Ace

Postby Ace » Thu May 24, 2007 12:27 pm

Fanboy crap makes me laugh. Put two identical computers together with comparable video cards, one nVidia and one ATI, the ONLY thing that can tell the difference is a benchmark program. Getting 60 fps off one card vs. 70 fps on the other....a human can't tell the damn difference. If you think differently, then you need your head checked.

Just recently upgraded from a 9700 Pro to a 8800 GTS, I gained a ridiculous amount of fps, that's it. The game looks the exact same, plays the exact same and I play the exact same (thought I did have to work out some things in the process, see other threads for bitching). Is the lack of anything changing because ATI's card of X generations ago is just as good as the new nVidia card? Hell no. Going from 45 fps at 1280x1024 to 190+ fps at 1900x1200 makes ZERO difference in game play! That's about the most extreme example possible. There's no F'ing way I could even tell the difference between a 8800 GTS and a 8800 GTX card. Benchmarks, huge difference between the two. Real world, not so much.

Loyalty to a person is admirable, loyalty to a brand is childish (because they sure as hell aren't going to reward you for being a customer). Buy a card because it plays the games you want at the price you want, bottom line. 10 fps here, 5 degrees cooler there, give me a break they do the EXACT same thing in the end.

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Thu May 24, 2007 12:52 pm

party on ace!!

Return to “game hardware”