running Vista

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

Porkinator

running Vista

Postby Porkinator » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:56 pm

Well I have been running Vista Ultimate since yesterday and this is what I have found.
NO MORE GAME STUTTERING IN UT ( so far ) big plus . I installed it on another hard drive so I just change the start up hard drive in bios ( don't ask why but lets say my hinese tech does not follow instuctions very well) so I can go from Xp to Vista. I had to do a fresh install of UT this morning to get i in the registry and then copied the old UT files into it.
Good points besides UT playing well.
It found my network settings all by itself
that kinda amazed me. I was on the internet without having to do a thing.
It seems to load programs faster and it also seems to really take advange of my dual core processor as I can listen to music play UT and download files a lot smoother than XP.
Bad things are with my creative labs sound card and my webcamera.
Even after downloading Vista driveers for them the camera refuses to work and my mic won't work even though both run great under XP. I got a Microsoft USB headset and after playing with it I got it working both in Teamspeak and Ventrillo and it sounds grat playing music.
So far there are a lot more positives than negatives with Vista but I will update this as I keep learning about it.
If it keeps playing UT like it does then it will save me about 500 from buying a ATI card when they come out.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed May 02, 2007 9:21 am

ok
Fixed microphone problems with no help from Creative at all.
So only webcam problems exist but that is low priorty.
All seems to be running well.
Ut never played better.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed May 02, 2007 9:54 am

Porkinator wrote:ok
Ut never played better.

Damn pork. I want to hold off but you make it sound like it's ok. I just have heard horror stories about how it takes over your media if it doesn't find liscense info. I know someone that loaded up Ultimate and it took over about 200 gigs of his movies/mp3s that it didn't find liscensing on and wouldn't let him have access to them. <shudders>

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Wed May 02, 2007 11:30 am

Porkinator wrote:ok
Ut never played better.

Tell us how...

Ace

Postby Ace » Wed May 02, 2007 1:19 pm

Porkinator wrote:So only webcam problems exist but that is low priorty.

Lies! Just because you've danced naked in front of your webcam for me before, doesn't mean it's a low priority!

Nonstop wrote:I know someone that loaded up Ultimate and it took over about 200 gigs of his movies/mp3s that it didn't find liscensing on and wouldn't let him have access to them.

Please tell me you are joking! On second thought I really don't care, because I'm not going to install Vista anyway, but that is M-f*cking crazy.

Finally got a copy here in the office. Put it on our newest machine, which was running XP before, now it can barely play a High Def movie that I made from my Florida trip in small screen mode. When running XP, it could play the movie fine full screen. That's an awesome improvement M$!

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 pm

I did the install on a different hard drive and boot either into xp or Vista. There was a place in Windows Media Player where you can unchecck DRM and I have played a bunch of MP3 that I have aquired "elsewhere" and have had no problems.
I even ran some "art" videos to be sure they are working good .

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Wed May 02, 2007 5:04 pm

You'll be running vista someday ace :idea: just a hunch

your video problems are could very well be DRM related. make sure you have media player configured correctly or use another media player to play those .wmv files. better yet, encode them using the h.264 codec and you won't have any problems. :lol:
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Ace

Postby Ace » Wed May 02, 2007 7:13 pm

I'm sure I'll have to move to Vista at some point, because lets face it companies are going to make products that only run on it. Hell when UT2K8 ever comes it, it's probably only going to use directX-10, because that's the reason they delayed it....There is not one single improvement in Vista that I can tell.

I don't buy into what I noticed is DRM or a incorrectly configured Media Player. I think the real reason is Vista is bloated XP and nothing more. The DRM isn't the case because I'm not running a Blue-ray disk and the OS "sees" I'm watching protected content and is reducing the quality. My file has no DRM in it, it's not being played from a source where the OS should be converting the quality. And above everything else, it's the EXACT same file that played fine in Media Player 11 in XP, the same player in Vista. There's not one situation where playing a file like this should get worse unless playing on different hardware.

It's media player, I also don't see how tweaks off the defaults would cause this big of a difference. I'm all ears, but unchecking the "remember history" isn't going to make any difference.

They might fix bugs down the road, but out of the box horrible OS. The DRM limitations and every other shortcoming aside, don't mean jack when the OS is slower then the previous one. Those Linux jokers need to get their act together because this is the window they needed.

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Wed May 02, 2007 9:30 pm

Ace,

Their act has been together for a while. Try out Fedora, or SUSE. If you want something Windows-esque, check out PSLinuxOS. Knoppix is nice, and a lot of people like Ubuntu (although I am not a fan, not very stable and lots of things don't work as they should). SimplyMEPIS is great for beginners. Most of those have Live CD's that you can try out without installing anything. If you are interested in trying out something without needing to install, I can send you a few links.

Yrrek

P.S. - Pewter, I just got Gentoo up and running with xfce. =)

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Fri May 04, 2007 7:13 am

Ok
I seem to have the mic working and after much harrassment from Houdini the night before last about my teamspeak sound quality I found the Alchemy patch from Creative and it seemed to fix a lot of the problems.
I ran 3D Mark 06 in Vista and expected the worst since everyone seems to think Vista runs Directx 9c worse than XP.
Here is the Vista score .
Score: 8387
Date: 2007-05-04
CPU: Intel Core 2 2400 MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
108 MHz / 297 MHz
Res: 1280x1024
and here is the XP score.Score: 8337
Date: 2007-03-31
CPU: Intel Core 2 2400 MHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
108 MHz / 297 MHz
Res: 1280x1024

As you can see the Vista score is sightly better than the XP score.
I am begining to wonder if a lot of stores the horrors of Vista have been overblown . I will continue my reseach.

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Fri May 04, 2007 10:34 am

pork, i think you'll be happy you upgraded to vista. there may be growing pains now, but i think it will pay-off later. i have never thought vista was as bad as many people thought(even those in our own clan), the rest of the industry just hasn't caught up.

vista isn't perfect, it has the same driver support issues, or lackthereof, that windows 2000 had. in fact, i think it's safe to say that some of the problems people are having are similar to those that windows 2000 had.

sids 10 cents....vista will catch on and you and law will be ahead of game

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Fri May 04, 2007 11:17 am

Sideous Prime wrote:pork, i think you'll be happy you upgraded to vista. there may be growing pains now, but i think it will pay-off later. i have never thought vista was as bad as many people thought(even those in our own clan), the rest of the industry just hasn't caught up.

vista isn't perfect, it has the same driver support issues, or lackthereof, that windows 2000 had. in fact, i think it's safe to say that some of the problems people are having are similar to those that windows 2000 had.

sids 10 cents....vista will catch on and you and law will be ahead of game

Yep, yall will be drooling when I get UT2004 running in a side-bar gadget.

I have found one thing about vista annoying as hell. When I click shutdown... it just shuts down... It doesn't pop the log-off/restart/etc dialog... And it's eerie...cause I sit there for a second and wait for it

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Fri May 04, 2007 12:10 pm

i'll be hot damned when you hit shutdown the box just shuts down....incredible! bout time. althought, if the shutdown, logoff, standby, buttons, toolbar(whatever it is) is the same as it was in RC2, it didnt' make much logical sense. why is shutdown and lock in the "arrow button" too? why not just have shutdown dialog box appear like in xp? wouldn't the start menu look cleaner?

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Fri May 04, 2007 1:37 pm

Mine gives me the options to sleep restart shutdown etc.
Not sure what you have done Law

Return to “game hardware”