Looking for some odds and ends.

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Looking for some odds and ends.

Postby ClownMajik » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:25 am

I fear my eVGA GeForce 5700FX card is slowly losing it's life. The fan is going and it may burn out soon. I can't live with myself switching over to the Integrated nVidia GeForce4 MX 64mb chipset with shared resources. :( I'm wondering if anyone has any spare video cards I could purchase. Hopefully for a decent price. I have two PCI slots (not express!) and one AGP slot available. I'm most likely looking for something at the 256mb GeForce 6 or 7 series.

With the voluntary push back on getting a new system, I'm thinking about upgrading my RAM, but I'm not sure if will make any difference. Right now I'm running an AMD Athalon 2800+ @ 2.08 ghtz. I only have two slots available and I would require two new sticks of 512 to make it worth while. I can only support a maximum of 1GB. They would have to be 184-Pin DDR SDRAM 2700. Although I could probably say good luck finding someone who has such old ram laying around. :roll: But I'll admit, other than updating the graphics, this computer is still stock since the day I purchased it and I have very little complaints.

More Specs (Yes, my machine sucks balls, but that doesn't stop me from owning up on UT!)
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/gene ... R1002_USEN

Thanks!
Clown
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

Avaris

Re: Looking for some odds and ends.

Postby Avaris » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:19 pm

ClownMajik wrote:I fear my eVGA GeForce 5700FX card is slowly losing it's life. The fan is going and it may burn out soon. I can't live with myself switching over to the Integrated nVidia GeForce4 MX 64mb chipset with shared resources. :( I'm wondering if anyone has any spare video cards I could purchase. Hopefully for a decent price. I have two PCI slots (not express!) and one AGP slot available. I'm most likely looking for something at the 256mb GeForce 6 or 7 series.

With the voluntary push back on getting a new system, I'm thinking about upgrading my RAM, but I'm not sure if will make any difference. Right now I'm running an AMD Athalon 2800+ @ 2.08 ghtz. I only have two slots available and I would require two new sticks of 512 to make it worth while. I can only support a maximum of 1GB. They would have to be 184-Pin DDR SDRAM 2700. Although I could probably say good luck finding someone who has such old ram laying around. :roll: But I'll admit, other than updating the graphics, this computer is still stock since the day I purchased it and I have very little complaints.

More Specs (Yes, my machine sucks balls, but that doesn't stop me from owning up on UT!)

Thanks!
Clown

The next question is, how much are you willing to pay for new parts?

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:20 pm

Anyone got a spare logitech MX series mouse they're willing to sell? I'm a cheap bastard and don't feel like paying $45 for a new one. :p
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:49 am

All taken care of :)

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Re: Looking for some odds and ends.

Postby pewterdragn » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:56 am

ClownMajik wrote:I fear my eVGA GeForce 5700FX card is slowly losing it's life. The fan is going and it may burn out soon. I can't live with myself switching over to the Integrated nVidia GeForce4 MX 64mb chipset with shared resources. :( I'm wondering if anyone has any spare video cards I could purchase. Hopefully for a decent price. I have two PCI slots (not express!) and one AGP slot available. I'm most likely looking for something at the 256mb GeForce 6 or 7 series.

Thanks!
Clown

Did you get the fan replaced?
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:30 pm

Better. :)

2 sticks of Kingston hyperX 512 DDR SDRAM. 2.0 latency.

1 300w power supply - OEM. (Made to fit my HP model's case); 24-pin to 20-pin converter cable

1 eVGA 7600GS AGP

1 Logitech MX518

=$200

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:54 pm

Hey clown... to help prevent future mx cable destruction...

go down to your local pet store and get 3 ft of fish-tank tubing...
use an exacto to cut a slit in it lengthwise, then put it around your mouse cable where it rubs against your desk

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:04 pm

ClownMajik wrote:Better. :)

1 300w power supply - OEM. (Made to fit my HP model's case); 24-pin to 20-pin converter cable

1 eVGA 7600GS AGP

1 Logitech MX518

=$200

Sweet!
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:29 pm

That should hold you over nicley.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:32 pm

ClownMajik wrote:Better. :)

1 eVGA 7600GS AGP

1 Logitech MX518

=$200

From what I've heard you should be able to overclock the 7600 quite well.

Return to “game hardware”