Raptor RAID question...

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

Houdini

Raptor RAID question...

Postby Houdini » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:56 pm

Ok Ok I will run two Raptor X's in RAID 0, ok Non!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Now the question I have is seeing the first drive I bought was the retail version can I pair it in a RAID array with the OEM? That would save me $. Also I take it you can run the two in RAID and also have a third single storage drive? Please let me know any information you want to share.

Frankie

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

nonstop

Re: Raptor RAID question...

Postby nonstop » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:14 pm

Houdini wrote:Ok Ok I will run two Raptor X's in RAID 0, ok Non!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Now the question I have is seeing the first drive I bought was the retail version can I pair it in a RAID array with the OEM? That would save me $. Also I take it you can run the two in RAID and also have a third single storage drive? Please let me know any information you want to share.

Frankie

Yes, Yes and Yes. : )

I don't think you will be dissapointed though the biggest diff is going from a 7200 to raid or a 7200 to a raptor. 2 Raptors is awesome but at some point the 1.5 sata data rate may be the hold up, not the drives. I know 3.0 is out for sata for an interface but there really isn't any offical 3.0 speed yet because the interface hasn't been updated. Kind of silly to have these sata II 3.0 interfaces built on drives that only deliver 1.5 but I guess that's what we have. You will notice no raptor drives have 3.0, just 1.5 because of this.

Bottom line is, you will be seeing a major increase in your win boot time and app loading.

My opinion, although vid is a diff thread.... you will probably be buying the vid card that you will use for the unforseen future so just get an 8800 unless you really are going to spend some loot again in the next 6mo to get the latest and greatest. If not get an 8800. If you are going to, get the x1900xtx or x1950xtx over the 7900 series. ATI beats nvidia up here on image quality and performance.

Ok there is my 2c.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:25 pm

Agreed with the raptors. As for the video card my plan is to get a card for now until may and then I am going to get what seems to be the best card at that time. Then I can sell the one I am going to buy for 300 for maybe 150/100 so my vid card rental fee would be 37.50-50 per month for 4 months and I can deal with that. here is the one I was looking at I noticed that the different companies putting these out have different clock speeds. This one looks like the fastest for the money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814186020

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:30 pm

Sorry guys, SATA II isnt faster then SATA I at all :(

Its not the interface, its the drive. SATA is only marginally faster then a good PATA too...
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:11 am

Houdini wrote:Agreed with the raptors. As for the video card my plan is to get a card for now until may and then I am going to get what seems to be the best card at that time. Then I can sell the one I am going to buy for 300 for maybe 150/100 so my vid card rental fee would be 37.50-50 per month for 4 months and I can deal with that. here is the one I was looking at I noticed that the different companies putting these out have different clock speeds. This one looks like the fastest for the money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814186020

2 thumbs up.

pewterdragn wrote:Sorry guys, SATA II isnt faster then SATA I at all :(

Its not the interface, its the drive. SATA is only marginally faster then a good PATA too...

good grief dragon, did you read 1 thing about sata? I basically said sata II is non existent. :roll: :wink:

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:41 pm

haha :)
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:34 am

so now what do I have to do to set my 3 drives up. How the heck do you set up raid o and what do you do wist the third drive? Does it just get plugged into the 3rd sata port?

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:48 am

2 of your ports will be for raid, probably colored a diff color, then you can use one of the others for whatever. Your mb manual usually has decent directions on how to do that.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:05 pm

ok. do u use the intel raid?

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:10 am

so I think I get how to set the raid on the mobo BIOS but when I install windows do I need to configure something there also? Does not say in my manual for the MOBO but I thought I saw something about that.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:33 am

I assume your mobo has a Raid controller ?
It has to have one to run RAID then the utility will be on the cd that comes with the mobo.
If ot you will need a Raid controller.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:59 am

Sorry Houdini, haven't been checking in. How is it going?

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:12 pm

Pork yes there is onboard RAID I think there is the intel ICH8R (is that the Matrix RAID?) and a JMicron (JMB363). From what I read I should use the intel. Any comments on that?

So here is where I am at with the mobo. I am going to bring the BIOS up to the 2nd to newest revision at post before I load the OS. The newest revision does not support revision rollback so I figured I might give the other a try. Besides you have to upgrade to that one first anyway you cant go right to the newest. So I made a bootable floppy to flash using the ASUS EZ Flash function. I will confgure RAID at that point in the BIOS and then load the OS. When loading the OS does windows prompt you with a question if you want a RAID array? Has anyone actually put the array on when installing windows or is there a way to do it with windows installed? I think I need to do the latter so does anyone have any ideas???

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:15 pm

Rom

Postby Rom » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:52 pm

OK if you have an intel chipset use ich 6,7 or 8.They others suck compared to ich from intel.Go in your bios and set your hard drive to sata raid,restart the comp.Go again in your bios and go in your boot devise and put cd first and choose raid0... hdd for 2nd 1.

After that restart the comp and when you see your mobo info on your screen press control and i at the same time to build raid array.I have made a lot of test the know whitch stripe were the best and the best compromise is 64 k.

than restart your comp whit your mobo cd and boot on it and create a floppy disk for your raid driver.

Restart your comp and try to install windows,at the begenin dont forget tto press f6 to install your raid drivers from your floppy.

If you need more help just call me at home houdi,will be my pleasure.450-752-0139

good luck
The Deadly Frenchies

Return to “game hardware”