a thought: just wait for windows vista

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

FATTYLLAMA

a thought: just wait for windows vista

Postby FATTYLLAMA » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:52 pm

ive been trying to sell a computer with a 3800+ 64, 7900gs, pc3200 ram, and i keep getting the messages, "why are u selling something that isnt dual core?" "why are you selling dx9 when dx10 will be out in a month?"

these questions are really pissing me off, especially when the computer is being sold for only $400.

i see houdini building a machine with an 8800gtx, and that is awesome. i also see people on here saying they will wait for vista, wait for dx10 video cards, go with quad core, etc...

fact is, on january 31, windows vista will cost you 200 for a basic full version, which has nothing, and 400 for a whole version. as with previous windows, good luck getting your hands on a new copy, and work with full compatability. second, january 31 is no release date for any dx10 video cards, unless you have 400-600 bucks for a 8800 of some sort, but thats all you got to choose from. anything with r600 is still a ways off. and finally, look at the list of games to be released in the first half of 2007. i dont recognize any of it and i dont see a lot of it as dx10. all we've been hearing about is spore, stalker, crysis, hellgate london, and those arent going to here anytime soon.

we keep getting caught up about whats coming up in the future (ddr3, pcie2.0, SATA 3.0, quad-core etc..) that we dont even care about now, and thats whats important.

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:10 pm

wow $400 seems like a hell of a deal for a box like that. people are going to whine any way you look at it. maybe you're trying to sell it to the wrong demographic.

it's going to be a while(vista or not, 8800 gpu or not) before dx10 catches on. in 6-12 months that may change. by then there will be something else that the gamers will be talking about. it's a never ending cycle.
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:24 am

That's basically what I have in my box, only I went with a 4600+. Honestly, it runs everything out so far on Max, so I could care less. Supposedly, it should be able to run Crysis and Unreal on high settings, so it's all good. Assuming you know your stuff about cpus, you must have that 3800+ overclocked, right?

nonstop

Re: a thought: just wait for windows vista

Postby nonstop » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:00 pm

FATTYLLAMA wrote:ive been trying to sell a computer with a 3800+ 64, 7900gs, pc3200 ram, and i keep getting the messages, "why are u selling something that isnt dual core?" "why are you selling dx9 when dx10 will be out in a month?"

these questions are really pissing me off, especially when the computer is being sold for only $400.

i see houdini building a machine with an 8800gtx, and that is awesome. i also see people on here saying they will wait for vista, wait for dx10 video cards, go with quad core, etc...

fact is, on january 31, windows vista will cost you 200 for a basic full version, which has nothing, and 400 for a whole version. as with previous windows, good luck getting your hands on a new copy, and work with full compatability. second, january 31 is no release date for any dx10 video cards, unless you have 400-600 bucks for a 8800 of some sort, but thats all you got to choose from. anything with r600 is still a ways off. and finally, look at the list of games to be released in the first half of 2007. i dont recognize any of it and i dont see a lot of it as dx10. all we've been hearing about is spore, stalker, crysis, hellgate london, and those arent going to here anytime soon.

we keep getting caught up about whats coming up in the future (ddr3, pcie2.0, SATA 3.0, quad-core etc..) that we dont even care about now, and thats whats important.

So why are you selling it then? So you can upgrade to the tomorrow stuff? :wink:

FATTYLLAMA

Re: a thought: just wait for windows vista

Postby FATTYLLAMA » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:17 pm

nonstop wrote:
FATTYLLAMA wrote:ive been trying to sell a computer with a 3800+ 64, 7900gs, pc3200 ram, and i keep getting the messages, "why are u selling something that isnt dual core?" "why are you selling dx9 when dx10 will be out in a month?"

So why are you selling it then? So you can upgrade to the tomorrow stuff? :wink:

haha, well i was planning on building a vista system around june, in time for me when i go off to college. fact is, i dont need horsepower of a 7900gs and a 3800+ 64 (well, i have to say its nice, even if its far from the best now) when im still playing warcraft 3, starcraft, ut2k4, etc. for games exclusively, 2006 sucked, and the first half of 2007 doesnt look to good, but $400 is what i paid for the machine i built, and i just want to pass it off for the same price i paid for the parts.

hell, the last game i bought was battlefield 2, back almost 18 months ago, and i dont even play it anymore. and none of the new games out are ones i would play, such as company of heroes, nwn2, dark messiah...

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:21 am

Fatty the way you disappear and reappear you should be Houdini. :twisted: I totally hear what your saying about the new hardware and the upcoming Vista release. If I were you I would heed Sids advice and shake off people saying that stuff to you because people will complain about anything and everything. It sounds like 400 is a steal for what your selling. I am actually changing a few things about my plans after listening to the clan’s advice on different things. I am still building but I am buying a nice case and power supply first and then getting the hardware. By nice I mean water-cooled and generally tricked out. (You can play space invaders from a LCD screen on the case, not that you would want to but you could. :twisted: ) I figured the case is the only thing I will keep after a year because I am going to keep turning over my hardware before it is worth nothing. I guess that is my point about getting tomorrows hardware today because I will be able to sell the components while they still have value and upgrade to the next new thing. As it stands now I have a $3,000 Dell that people would send me complaints about if I tried to sell it. :evil:

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:25 am

let ppl komplain...

the whole idea of a PERSONAL COMPUTER is to make it...well, personal....your rig wont fit anyone, because it has what u want in it....thats y they are fully kustomize-able

there has to be someone out there who needs something like u have...actually, rall would prolly love to pick that up and have his own box xcept that ------>

HE NEEDS TO GET A FRIGGIN JOB 1st!!

otherwise, id say thats a deal for what u are offering....its just that ppl who are watching the komputer news are saving up so most of them can kompensate for a diminished libido with an overpowered and 'bleeding edge' komputer setup
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:21 am

Nytefyre wrote:HE NEEDS TO GET A FRIGGIN JOB 1st!!

Rall pwnage.
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:08 pm

Nytefyre wrote:....its just that ppl who are watching the komputer news are saving up so most of them can kompensate for a diminished libido with an overpowered and 'bleeding edge' komputer setup

cant say I have a problem there.... :twisted:

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:52 pm

Nytefyre wrote:let ppl komplain...

the whole idea of a PERSONAL COMPUTER is to make it...well, personal....your rig wont fit anyone, because it has what u want in it....thats y they are fully kustomize-able

there has to be someone out there who needs something like u have...actually, rall would prolly love to pick that up and have his own box xcept that ------>

HE NEEDS TO GET A FRIGGIN JOB 1st!!

otherwise, id say thats a deal for what u are offering....its just that ppl who are watching the komputer news are saving up so most of them can kompensate for a diminished libido with an overpowered and 'bleeding edge' komputer setup

Hey, that's Mr. kompensate to you lizard!

Return to “game hardware”