need some advice

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

Houdini

need some advice

Postby Houdini » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:10 pm

Ok need a few tips here I actually got a family member to buy my comp for me and I need to pay them back so this is what I am looking at.

Core 2 Duo X6800
Asus P5N32-E SLI Premium
Nvidia 8800GTX 768MB
2GB of Mushkin DDR2-6400
Seagate's perindicular storage 320GB SATA II Hard Disk Drive
ThermalTake Kandalf case http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/kandalf/bws/va9000bws.htm

power supply:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=511

I wanted something that I can build off of and when new stuff comes out I can still get a good buck for these components and then upgrade.

So my question I still have is what is the deal with the windows 64 bit. If I get regular windows home installed it is $59 extra and if I get the 64 it is 125. The computer comes with a Vista Coupon so is there any reason to get the windows 64 bit?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Houdi
Last edited by Houdini on Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:31 pm

The Home edition will require you to pay for your upgrade.
I see no reason for 64 bit as all progrmas and hardware
will have to have 64 drivers to work with it and your old programs
will not work with it, I suggest you go with Media Center and that way you can go to Vista Home Ultimate at no cost except for shipping and handlingfor the media. Unless you have spefic hardware or software you want to run in 64 then there will be no reason to go to it.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

nonstop

Re: need some advice

Postby nonstop » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:49 pm

Houdini wrote:Ok need a few tips here I actually got a family member to buy my comp for me and I need to pay them back so this is what I am looking at.

Core 2 Duo X6800
Asus P5N32-E SLI Premium
Nvidia 8800GTX 768MB
2GB of Mushkin DDR2-6400
Seagate's perindicular storage 320GB SATA II Hard Disk Drive
ThermalTake Kandalf case http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/kandalf/bws/va9000bws.htm

power supply:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=511

I wanted something that I can build off of and when new stuff comes out I can still get a good buck for these components and then upgrade.

So my question I still have is what is the deal with the windows 64 bit. If I get regular windows home installed it is $59 extra and if I get the 64 it is 125. The computer comes with a Vista Coupon so is there any reason to get the windows 64 bit?

Thanks
Houdi

Everything looks good Houdini except caution on the i680. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... ge=1&pp=20

That's a great power supply, one of the best.

I do think it's a bit silly to spend 950.00 on a 6800 when you can get a 6300 and o/c it on core voltage to the same speed saving you 800.00.

Rom

Postby Rom » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:20 pm

I agree whit Non on that one.I run a 6400 at the moment and he is at 2.55 whitout any problem..So i am between a 6600 and a 6700 speed .So save your money bro and overclock it a bit and you will have more power than you need
The Deadly Frenchies

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:41 pm

True but dont forget you can also overclock the x6800 and seeing it is an extreme adition intel gives you some help by not having the limit of the fixed multiplyer. I read that link and I noticed most people have been posting that they liked the board. I am going to ask the seller what thier thoughts are about those problems and whether the latest BIOS revisions are going to clear things up.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:49 pm

Houdini wrote:True but dont forget you can also overclock the x6800 and seeing it is an extreme adition intel gives you some help by not having the limit of the fixed multiplyer. I read that link and I noticed most people have been posting that they liked the board. I am going to ask the seller what thier thoughts are about those problems and whether the latest BIOS revisions are going to clear things up.

Nvidia is claiming it's not hardware related so they may be able to fix it with their chipset drivers but the jury is out and they at least have acknowledged the problem.

Funny thing though is looks like you aren't wanting an opinion on anything as your thread was named, just looks like you're going to get what you want so I'll stop my 2c.

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:32 pm

u said BIOS

lol

:D
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Houdini

Re: need some advice

Postby Houdini » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:25 pm

Houdini wrote:So my question I still have is what is the deal with the windows 64 bit. If I get regular windows home installed it is $59 extra and if I get the 64 it is 125. The computer comes with a Vista Coupon so is there any reason to get the windows 64 bit?

Thanks
Houdi

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:17 pm

Since you are going high end you might as well look at this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/19/intel_or_nvidia/
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Return to “game hardware”