computer build off

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:16 pm

Hold your breath I am installing the water cooling tonight. I forgot the chances I was taking just to take the thing completley apart again to install the water blocks and tubes. I am a bit nervous about cleaning the old thermal compound off the core with nail polish remover but I think that is how it is done. Well I will post some pics when I get this thing back up.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

Rom

Postby Rom » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:37 pm

good luck buddy
The Deadly Frenchies

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:24 am

I use 'goo-gone' to get off the compound... then rubbing alcohol to clean off the goo-gone

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:21 pm

OK so far so good I think anyway really there is no telling until I get it back up if I damaged anything. I did take a Dermal to the passive heat sink so I am nervous. I worked on it until 2am and had to do OT today so I will finish tonight. I was able to install all the water cooling system and I am using my other computer to power the pump for tests. It is unbelievably quiet it really is something. So here are a few pics of where it is at now I will post more later. Notice the block on the processor it has clear neon UV red aerosol on it and under regular light you can’t tell at all. Also the coolant is orange under regular light and UV green under UV light.

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:33 pm

very nice!
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:18 pm

I finally got it all hooked up and it is running at a nice and cool 27 deg celcius. Here are some new pics I decided to add some racing strips and more paint to the power supply today so I put in a before and after pic of that.

Before PSU mod:

After PSU mod:

Here is what it looks like with the Antec Spot Cool fan on:

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:21 pm

Houdini wrote:I finally got it all hooked up and it is running at a nice and cool 27 deg celcius. Here are some new pics I decided to add spray on some racing strips and more paint to the power supply today so I put in a before and after pic of that.

Before PSU mod:

After PSU mod:

Here is what it looks like with the Antec Spot Cool fan on:

Here is a few of the front of the case. I have a plugin for the LCD that communicates with winamp.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:56 am

What no flow meter?

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:20 am

Looks like someone disembowled a alien.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:38 am

Porkinator wrote:Looks like someone disembowled a alien.

lol

Looks great Houdini. Is it as fast as you had hoped for? Have you turned up everything on UT2k4 to hear the easter egg announcement?

Also have you loaded up FEAR and FEAR Extraction Point / Half Life 2 / Oblivion/Company of Heroes / Dark Messiah of Might and Magic at least in the demo forms to see how great they look with your machine?

Great job Houdini, and please tell me you are overclocking with a water cooling system or I will give you a virtual slap.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:27 am

nonstop wrote:

lol

Looks great Houdini. Is it as fast as you had hoped for? Have you turned up everything on UT2k4 to hear the easter egg announcement?

Also have you loaded up FEAR and FEAR Extraction Point / Half Life 2 / Oblivion/Company of Heroes / Dark Messiah of Might and Magic at least in the demo forms to see how great they look with your machine?

Great job Houdini, and please tell me you are overclocking with a water cooling system or I will give you a virtual slap.

Yeah non it is running UT 2004 really nice and I am definitely going to put some other games on there this weekend to see what she can do. I am going to reorganize the wires tonight and try and take some of the clutter out. I am planning on overclocking as soon as I figure out how. :) I get the basics and even some of the moderate level stuff but it is definitely not my forte so if you have any advice on the subject I would be grateful.
HOu

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:00 am

OVERCLOCKING MADE SIMPLE:

Crank it UP until it starts to smoke
Turn it DOWN 1 notch

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:03 am

Houdini wrote:
nonstop wrote:

lol

Yeah non it is running UT 2004 really nice and I am definitely going to put some other games on there this weekend to see what she can do. I am going to reorganize the wires tonight and try and take some of the clutter out. I am planning on overclocking as soon as I figure out how. :) I get the basics and even some of the moderate level stuff but it is definitely not my forte so if you have any advice on the subject I would be grateful.
HOu

You got it bro. I'll hit this thread up later today when I get a moment and give you some starters although I love Law's method. 8)

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:29 pm

law.of.averages wrote:What no flow meter?

you know man I really wanted to put one in and I looked at how it was done and figured it added to much of a pain in the ass factor to the build. I really could have used a t line for drainage puposes also I guess when I decide I want to change the color of the coolant I will look into both options.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:50 pm

Sweet! I remembered the account name and pass for my steam account with Valve so I can get my Half Life 2 Back and also I guess I will get episode 2 if and when it is out.

Return to “game hardware”