computer build off

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:22 pm

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=11

Final Words
If you haven't gotten the hint by now, we'll spell it out for you: there is no place, and no need for a RAID-0 array on a desktop computer. The real world performance increases are negligible at best and the reduction in reliability, thanks to a halving of the mean time between failure, makes RAID-0 far from worth it on the desktop.

There are some exceptions, especially if you are running a particular application that itself benefits considerably from a striped array, and obviously, our comments do not apply to server-class IO of any sort. But for the vast majority of desktop users and gamers alike, save your money and stay away from RAID-0.

If you do insist on getting two drives, you are much better off putting them into a RAID-1 array to have a live backup of your data. The performance hit of RAID-1 is just as negligible as the performance gains of RAID-0, but the improvement in reliability is worthwhile...unless you're extremely unlucky and both of your drives die at the exact same time.

When Intel introduced ICH5, and now with ICH6, they effectively brought RAID to the mainstream, pushing many users finally to bite the bullet and buy two hard drives for "added performance". While we applaud Intel for bringing the technology to the mainstream, we'd caution users out there to think twice before buying two expensive Raptors or any other drive for performance reasons. Your system will most likely run just as fast with only one drive, but if you have the spare cash, a bit more reliability and peace of mind may be worth setting up a RAID-1 array.

Bottom line: RAID-0 arrays will win you just about any benchmark, but they'll deliver virtually nothing more than that for real world desktop performance. That's just the cold hard truth.

Also the first part of my order arrived today from new egg, Windows XP. :twisted:

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:45 am

I can think of a few good reasons...

My TV computer ran almost as well in it's first incarnation using an AMD Athalon 1.4 Mhz and 2 ATA-66 at raid-0 as it does now with an AMD XP 1800+ and a single drive at ATA-100 sppeds. For video capture, it's all about getting the data to the drive

When using any kind of virtual machine, the files get pretty large, and the extra through-put helps load times, and performance on the guest operating system.

And, of course there's those three extra frags I get each round on the pub.

There's also the question of space. I got my two 250 SATA I drives for about 49.99 each... that's $100 for half a terrorbyte

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:51 am

law.of.averages wrote:I can think of a few good reasons...

My TV computer ran almost as well in it's first incarnation using an AMD Athalon 1.4 Mhz and 2 ATA-66 at raid-0 as it does now with an AMD XP 1800+ and a single drive at ATA-100 sppeds. For video capture, it's all about getting the data to the drive

When using any kind of virtual machine, the files get pretty large, and the extra through-put helps load times, and performance on the guest operating system.

And, of course there's those three extra frags I get each round on the pub.

There's also the question of space. I got my two 250 SATA I drives for about 49.99 each... that's $100 for half a terrorbyte

Yup, that's been my experience too. Raid 0 rules. Houdini can find any quote he wants but it's da bomb.

Rom

Postby Rom » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:07 am

I run on raid 0 for near 2 years now ,i have run it whit a lot of hard drive and i dont really know i will be able to get back to a single hdd.Its reel the performance doesnt double in each application but over all the performance are a lot faster than a single hdd.

1of my hdd have failed last year i have return it for rma,and i have install windows on my single one i have left,my first impression i was whit a rabbit and now the turtle was home.

We can run benchmark and do a lot of test but the best test for them,and for everything else is work whit it for a while and take it of now you'll be able to see what performance you was using.

Me and Non have found that we like hi end stereo component and thats the way we see the difference between part and wire.I have change my rca wire when i have buy my new stereo i wasnt sure of my choice,i give im few weeks and after i have reinstall my old one damn my old one was horible i but back my new one and the charm of the music was back again.

So all that post Houdi is to tell you it is good to read and learn from the web,thats a very good thing but the best is always to make your own test at home .That the better way to see if you gain ou loose in all aspect
The Deadly Frenchies

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:55 am

pewterdragn wrote:If you are going to do RAID in a desktop do yourself a favor and go with RAID1. RAID0 is faster but RAID1 is more data-safe. Wouldn't it suck if you lost all those pictures you took?

Where's your sense of adventure Dragon? Take risks. Live on the Edge. You got backups right?

Every once in awhile I eyeball these items... a bit pricey, but I figure i could Raid-1 it for a reliable backup of my desktop: As it is I image every couple of weeks to an 80g usb... eventually though, that won't cut it.

http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/sata-fir ... ezraid.htm

http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/2-bay-ho ... id-kit.htm

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:42 pm

I run my system(s) on a RAID0 OS disk, keep my data on a RAID1 array (any data not on the RAID5 File Server that is) and then back it up via imaging software to a USB HDD that goes in the fire safe.

I never lose anything :)
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:58 pm

pewterdragn wrote:I never lose anything :)

I've seen you lose your dignity more times then I care to say....so I call BS to that statement!

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:20 pm

nonstop wrote:Yup, that's been my experience too. Raid 0 rules. Houdini can find any quote he wants but it's da bomb.

Non you want to fight or something? :twisted: Why dont you jump on UT and kick my ass like the old days these text fights are boring.
Oh yeah and also please do not jack this thread f'rs! This has been usefull for me to sift through all the hardware I am looking at and now it is turning into some sort of cyber chick fight.
Last edited by Houdini on Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:25 pm

Ok back to boring hardware talk. I think maybe I would be crazy to drop the kind of change on a watercooled 8800GTX seeing all these new cards lurking. At the least I could get a much better price if I wait on the card so the question is what card do I get? Nvidia 7950GT ATI 1950XTX? I would really like a good suggestion because I know a cheaper card might be good enough to hold me over. Let me know. Thanks guys and gals.

How about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150171

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:28 pm

That will work cause ATI going to make 65 nm cards in April
making the cards run faster and cooler and smaller.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37611
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:29 pm

Houdini wrote:Ok back to boring hardware talk. I think maybe I would be crazy to drop the kind of change on a watercooled 8800GTX seeing all these new cards lurking. At the least I could get a much better price if I wait on the card so the question is what card do I get? Nvidia 7950GT ATI 1950XTX? I would really like a good suggestion because I know a cheaper card might be good enough to hold me over. Let me know. Thanks guys and gals.

How about this one?

That card got a good review here.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37626
This is a overclocked version.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:55 pm

Ace wrote:
pewterdragn wrote:I never lose anything :)

I've seen you lose your dignity more times then I care to say....so I call BS to that statement!

I've seen him on the loosing team in ut, the loosing side of of an argument and I'm pretty certain he's lost hair, money, and a few other things so I call BS as well! :wink:

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:40 pm

Porkinator wrote:
Houdini wrote:Ok back to boring hardware talk. I think maybe I would be crazy to drop the kind of change on a watercooled 8800GTX seeing all these new cards lurking. At the least I could get a much better price if I wait on the card so the question is what card do I get? Nvidia 7950GT ATI 1950XTX? I would really like a good suggestion because I know a cheaper card might be good enough to hold me over. Let me know. Thanks guys and gals.

How about this one?

That card got a good review here.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37626
This is a overclocked version.

yeah it looks pretty good man I think that will hold me over and then I will sell it for 200 and get one of the top shelf cards when there is a few choices. I am going to spend my extra money on a second Raptor X, I am ordering tomorrow. BTW the Raptor X drive came in the mail today it is really neat looking.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:40 pm

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:46 am

Note the well-worn utility knife on the mouse-pad...blade extended for immediate use.

Return to “game hardware”