New Logitech MX518 Mouse - Impressions

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed May 04, 2005 9:30 am

Amusing and sad.... Actually I don't think theirs any argument. Just Kaff taking his typical devils advocate side of every issue. 8)

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Wed May 04, 2005 12:18 pm

You expect me to wait in the unemployed line then, waiting for welfare? Heck no, Devil's advocate is the job I do well (if you've seen family guy, the episode with the pinball game "Devil's Advocate", it's even better :lol: ). I find this talk of mouse drivers amusing as well.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sat May 14, 2005 2:56 pm

Nonstop

Really there is no use in getting a mouse with a 1600 dpi if you use wicked low sensitivity. It is more geared towards twitch gamers that use high sens. I bought it today and I love the thing. I had a mx510 before that and it was pretty good. I was playing for the longest time with below 1 sens. and after awile I got frustrated how easyily I got pwned by really good players, I just could not scan fast enough to catch them, but I was pwning noobs so I dealt with it. Finally I bit the bullet and gradually brought the sens. back up until I got used to it. I noticed that the mouse acceletates much faster then the 510 but has a better degree of control at the same time. My buddy 's DoubleTap and HTM|Taffy both have it too and love it. So if you have high sens. I recommend it.
:shock:

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sat May 14, 2005 8:20 pm

Probably a good call houdini. You will find the pros almost always have a 1.0 or below sensitivity but since we all are far away from that, let the 518 rule! :o

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:29 pm

I tried a different mx518 this week and it seems much better. I think the one I tried when they first came out had some issues. It still takes some getting used to for many, contrary to houdini's thoughts and verified with 4 or 5 other players, but it does seem to be a great mouse.

Thought I better put that as my previous post did say that it wasn't that great.

Naix

Postby Naix » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:08 am

Houdini, how high sens are you talking about? My mouse isnt anything special, but i have my sens around 6 or 7, i now understand how people can have it down to .5-

Maybe if i get a new mouse, non would stop pwning me :)
World War III will be fought using atomic weapons, the war after that will be fought using sticks and stones.

Vendetta

Postby Vendetta » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:44 am

I still love my ole Mx700 wireless gets the job done and you can throw it a ways when upset!!! :wink: J\k :evil: :twisted:
Fortune follows the Bold.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:47 am

Naix, I might be able to help here.

Sensitivity with windows drivers on average is between .75 - 1.9 with people who have increadible hitscan. Most that I have seen are around the .75 - 1.0 range.

For some reason windows drivers are less prone to lag and glitch than logitech drivers so most of your top tier players don't load logitech drivers. If you load logitech drivers the speed is 2 - 3 times higher so that is what is going on there.

Now if you have one of the very high resolution mice like razer or the new mx518 that go anywhere from 1600dpi to 2000 you have doubled your throughput and have to slow your input speed in UT even more. I usually have 1.0 with my mx510 and windows drivers but with the mx518 I am down to .6 and experimenting wtih .4 Misfit uses .25 and is a damn good hitscanner with his mx518.

I hope all that helps. I would recommend unloading logitech drivers and using straight windows for a while so you can calibrate your speed. If 1.0 or 1.4 is to big a stretch just bring it down to 2.0 for a while. You will notice 2 things happening. 1. your melee fights will go to hell in a handbasket because you have to use much more mouse pad to turn and 2. your hitscan will go up so much that you will think you have an aimbot. :lol:

All this may require a bigger mousepad and some practice with your melee weapons to get those back up to speed.

One trick I tell people, such as misfit when he was new about a year ago, is take your mouse speed down to .5 with windows drivers, go in some server and play about 2 or 3 games. Yes it will be very painful and you will feel as though you have just drank a noob potion with +30 to being a mobile cow. However, after 2 or 3 games, go back in and adjust back to 1.0 or 1.3 and those speeds will feel as though they are almost too fast. It's all in your mind as most things are. That's a variation on an old golf trick that I heard years ago where you put a tee in the green and put at it for a while so when you aim for the whole later it looks as big as a basketball.

Hope some of this helps Naix and if you try any of it expect your game to take a ride to crapsville for a couple weeks. You will emerge like a pheonix from the fire a few weeks later in 733tv!||3 with Clown! :lol:

Happy fragging.

Nytefyre
Clan Whore

Postby Nytefyre » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:28 pm

hey vendetta, i have the xact same mouse...

sweet
10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Consentrated Power of Will,
5% Pleasure, 50% Pain, and 100% Reason to Remember The Name

Naix

Postby Naix » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:43 pm

Thanks for clearing it up non, I plan on getting the mx518 in the near future, dont think i'll kick ass as much as clown does, but im praying to be a little better :)

One trick I tell people, such as misfit when he was new about a year ago, is take your mouse speed down to .5 with windows drivers, go in some server and play about 2 or 3 games. Yes it will be very painful and you will feel as though you have just drank a noob potion with +30 to being a mobile cow.

For the hell of it i threw my sens down to .5 on my current mouse, felt like i got whacked in the head with a n00b bat too many times to count. I could have done better in 3rd person! Seriously couldnt aim at the ground before i was dead :!:
World War III will be fought using atomic weapons, the war after that will be fought using sticks and stones.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:43 pm

what size mouse pad do you have and did you unload any mouse drivers and just use windows natives?

Naix

Postby Naix » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:44 pm

Just a standard mouse pad, im not very tech-savvy, but no, i didnt unload any drivers

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:17 pm

unload those drivers. you were probably way to low with the drivers loaded. Then try the .5 thing again

Return to “game hardware”