good post

Postby Porkinator » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:51 pm

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Re: good post

Postby Sideous Prime » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:06 pm

with the recent debate on these forums on which is better mac vs. vista i must say the timing of this is ironic. i must also say i believe the person who posted the url to be biased.

being a longtime user of windows and an avid windows xp user i will say vista, while it does have it strengths is incredibly disappointing. yes i have used vista and no i will not use it again unless i have no other choice. xp is far superior in performance and compatibility. who is it fault(M$ or it's vendors is not the issue here). just because windows vista has a flashy new interface does not make the OS better in ANY way. the facts are the facts. in the real world of compatibility and desktop performance, both windows xp and leopard outperform vista. the old adage is true, newer is not always better.
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:22 pm

Sideous Prime wrote:with the recent debate on these forums on which is better mac vs. vista i must say the timing of this is ironic. i must also say i believe the person who posted the url to be biased.

being a longtime user of windows and an avid windows xp user i will say vista, while it does have it strengths is incredibly disappointing. yes i have used vista and no i will not use it again unless i have no other choice. xp is far superior in performance and compatibility. who is it fault(M$ or it's vendors is not the issue here). just because windows vista has a flashy new interface does not make the OS better in ANY way. the facts are the facts. in the real world of compatibility and desktop performance, both windows xp and leopard outperform vista. the old adage is true, newer is not always better.

Sid get a keyboard that allows capital I 's .
Me biased ?
bah
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Yrrek

Postby Yrrek » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 pm

From the article:
"Simply put Microsoft products are great, they are more user friendly,[...]" - opinion. I really like Windows XP, I think it is a good solid OS. As for the user friendly, that is totally opinion. I love the "Grandma" test, in which you bring in a new user to a computer and see which one they think is easiest. From my experience they tend to like Mac OSX and Linux flavors like Ubuntu and Mepis.

"It took the better part of 20 minutes and the system was up and running and Microsoft can certainly be commended for that. Not even Linux, Mac OS or any OS I have ever worked with has loaded (to completion) in such a short time. For large corporations and system admins this is going to be the biggest time saver ever." - Many Linux distributions install in 20 minutes or less, and they come with far more software than a Vista base install. They generally come with media players, office suites, image manipulators, various servers and development software, email clients, games, and a whole host of other programs depending on which one you choose. Oh yeah, it is all free. And can use the proprietary MS Office formats (OpenOffice.org is currently working on Office 2007, but it is on the way).

"I had to turn off User Account Control (UAC). Being an advanced user and a security expert it was very annoying for me BUT the new User Account Control is a great security feature and will certainly STOP a lot of this spyware, adware, conware, hoaxware and cr*pware from ever loading on your machine." - Bull. It is only a matter of time before someone figures out how to bypass that by making the system think you selected "Continue."

"Every piece of software I own (and I have lots) all work just dandy. All my hardware works although I had to download a few hundred megs of driver updates but STILL it all works just fine." - Microsoft or third party software? Of course MS will make their software work. Third party developers MS can't control so the point is moot. As for the hardware, still had to download drivers, did he? Go figure, that is every OS. Thank goodness installing drivers made his hardware work under Vista. What a surprise!

"Now lets talk stability. Having been built on a Windows 2003 base I can certainly say this is the most stable Desktop operating system I have ever worked with (Mac and Linux included). In 10 days since I installed it I have had NOT ONE error, NOT ONE crash .. NOT ONE NOTHING !!!!" - Just 10 days? I've gone MONTHS on my Slackware boxen. Ask any Linux geek and they will die of laughter at how little 10 days is compared to the stability of a Linux desktop.

"Even though I have not identified any bugs that affect my workings, Microsoft and the Developer community certainly have. On the official launch day of Vista about 8 updates were released for Vista with only one being labelled as important. And the next day (today) another update was released. That is excellent as far as Microsoft goes, quick releases of patches means this product gets off the ground a lot quicker than any predecessor." - O.o

"The built in Windows Drivers will cover most peoples hardware requirements and new drivers from manufacturers are being released fast. But to come back to reality there is of course going to be lots of people out there who load Vista and will have software and hardware devices that may not work. I think unlike past releases of Microsoft OS' support, drivers, patches will be a LOT more forthcoming than in the past." He THINKS that patches will be a lot more forthcoming? Based on what information? What does this have to do with the performance of Vista and how much it rocks? He sure is an optimistic fellow....

"Of course blogs all over the web say things like "just launched and already patches" ... YOU BETCHA !!! I do not know know of ANY other operating system that has released maintenance patches so quickly. That is a true committment to service excellence." Ok, so that is pretty quick, I will admit that. But the goal is to NOT have to publish patches on the DAY of release. You generally want to wait a little while for people to really go into the depths and quirky corners of your program/system for them to find those things that need patching.

"More than likely 99% of the Whiners out there are all using Illegal versions of Microsoft products and the only time they whine is when Microsoft introduces "Genuine Programs" which prohibit them from getting updates and addons for free. Which leads me onto the point of why there is so much whinging and whining about Vista. I BET YOU its because the activation cracks have all been identified and disabled by Microsoft ... so ... of course if you cannot get your free Vista from the Warez sites you of course have something to moan about. Well Microsoft products are not free like Linux and if it's free that you want then stick wih Linux but stop your whining ... it gets you NOWHERE and certainly does not make anyone take you more seriously. Mac OS is certainly not free ... in fact it costs a lot more to own a MAC than a PC with Windows. But seriously when I hear Linux people moaning about how bad Windows is I say to them "how would you know?" .... "Aren't you just whining because you can't have Windows for free?" ..... there is always a silent pause before they figure out something else to say about Windows. GIVE IT UP DUDES !!!!!" - He BETS us that ALL of the people the complain about Microsoft products is because they are using pirated versions and are only complaining about how Microsoft makes it hard for them to pirate their products. Wow. I'm glad he is here to share is insight with us, I feel much better.

"I have NEVER in all the years ever heard ANYONE from Microsoft EVER run down Linux or MAC products .. NEVER !!!!. That says a lot and the LOT OF YOU should be embarrassed as hell reading a statement like that. The software giant never mocks, never runs down anyone, they just keep their development going, they keep their products rocking and they do not seem AT ALL phased by the so-called Linux Threat .... so STOP your whining." - Looks like he crawled out from under his rock long enough to make this post, and then went right back under it if he hasn't heard MS Fanboys complaining/jabbing at Linux/Mac. How about MS not phased by the so-called Linux Threat? Hmmm, making deals with Novell, sueing various Linux companies for violating the MS Source Code and then refusing to show their own source code to prove their claims. Not phased at all....

Return to “game hardware”