Linksys Firewall Router - needs to log on to Workgroup?

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

Hoss

Linksys Firewall Router - needs to log on to Workgroup?

Postby Hoss » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:27 pm

Hey your #1 Network Noob here again!
Set up this firewall router per instructions on the server. All clients and server can get on the internet. Clients can't see server. Linksys support told me I just need to set up file sharing on each client. I added the two protocols missing that were needed. Last thing on their instructions was that I need to make the clients log onto a workgroup "not a domain." The server is set up as domain controller not a workgroup. So dumbass me just simply clicks on workgroup and entered the workgroup name the same as the domain server name...duh. Now I can't even log back on the dang thang using the regular password!!

HELP!!

Below is link they sent me to enable file share on Win2000 server is Server 2000

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/lin ... _topview=1

law.of.averages

Re: Linksys Firewall Router - needs to log on to Workgroup?

Postby law.of.averages » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:14 am

Hoss,

You only need to enable file/printer sharing on machines that will SHARE files or printers.

The probelm likely has to do with user accounts. You have several options depending on how much you trust your firewall

1. Enable the "guest" account on your SERVER. This is the most risky method, since it will then allow anyone with access to your intranet access to the files on your server.

2. For every WORKSTATION user account, create an account on the server with the same user ID and password. Grant each user access to the shared files at the 'windows' level.

3. Setup a windows DOMAIN, create domain accounts for each workstation, and run your home like a business.

If you can get on TS tonight (an I can get on TS tonight) I'll be happy to jump to a private channel and give you more suggesetions)

Hoss

Re: Linksys Firewall Router - needs to log on to Workgroup?

Postby Hoss » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:29 am

Everything set up as you stated. Does this look like a valid reason clients can't log on?

http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board ... 0258#M6928

If this looks like something I should do...I could use a little guidance here :lol:

Return to “game hardware”