Clown buys a new toy :)

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Clown buys a new toy :)

Postby ClownMajik » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:36 pm

I bought a 22" Samsung 226bw widescreen monitor today with a 2ms respond rate. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:50 pm

wow rad dude that looks nice. Let me know how game play is with it cause I been thinking about grabbing one.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:41 pm

Dragn knows this all too well since he's got a 22" HP widescreen (5ms). UT is a lot harder to play since widescreen resolution is not supported. (kinda). I went into my UT2004 ini file to manually change my in-game resolution to 1680x1050. The screen is slightly stretched, but the only thing I can really notice is that my x-hair is no longer square. I had to change my FoV to 138 to make up for the widescreen resolution as well.

Using this resolution also messes up the mouse sensitivity really bad. After some ini tweaking I ended up changing my mouse multiplyer to X=2.0; Y=2.50. You'd think that I would have to increase the X modifier since the screen is wider on the X axis. But for some reason I had a huge difficulty doing shock combos on the Y axis. It may have something to do with the physical stretch of the screen. Either way, with the difference in X,Y multipliers, it feels more like a "square" axis. I had to alter both mouse smoothing and threshold as well. I won't say it's perfect, but I think it's tweaked the best it can be considering UT's unsupported resolution. The only problem now are extreme turns left and right. After so many degrees on the turn, it seems to pull a bit almost feeling like a different sensitivity. I'll need to get a bigger mouse pad too.

Game aside, the monitor is really kick ass. I Got a chance to try out both the Samsung and the HP 22" with the "ultra bright" technology. Both types have their perks but I did not like the physical view pane on the HP monitor. It reminded me of the Sony Vio laptops. It seemed to give off light glares and reminded me of a CRT. The HP only has a 5ms respond rate as well vs my 2ms. Although a small difference, I did notice slightly more shadowing of the mouse on the HP. Not to mention the HP monitor was about $50 more.

I can only find one downside. Even after installing the supplied drivers, it only supports a 60 hertz refresh rate. Is this common for LCDs? I'm used to 76 or so on the CRT
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:24 pm

Hey clown, I picked up the exact same one a few months back and love it too. 60 is all you will get though for hertz which was a little of a letdown after getting 75 on my other but I adjusted.

I didn't change anything settings wise, just went with the native 1680x1050 that you can select in game and it looked fine to me. It took me about 2 weeks to adjust and now it feels natural.

It's not quite as bright as a couple others out there, such as my samsung 940bf that sits beside it, but overall for the price it's hard to beat.

Have fun.

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:45 pm

I'm getting myself the 19" version of the same monitor (same response time, I think), since 22" seems like a bit much for me. Well, if UT works fine in it, then all is well. I just tossed out that old lead brick of mine (15 inch CRT which you could use to maul a bear). How heavy (in your mind) is the monitor?

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:03 pm

It's 16.3 pounds to be exact. A lot lighter than my 19" A91f+ viewsonic which is a whopping 49.4 pounds.

I got a chance to play Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion which supports widescreen @ 1680x1050. All I can say is SEXY!

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:21 pm

I suppose all is well, then. What graphics card do you have, by the way? I have a 7900 GS, but I'm not sure if it'll be able to handle the larger resolution (though I do have it overclocked by a lot).

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

Postby ClownMajik » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:35 pm

eVGA 7600GS AGP. I'm running at the native resolution of 1680x1050 which is high as this monitor supports with no hitches at all. I'm even able to run Oblivion at that resolution with no lag whatsoever.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:08 am

Clown,

I've got both my Samsung SyncMaster 912n's running at a refresh rate of 75Hz.

I can't help but note that you keep the tissuebox handy :D

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:35 am

law.of.averages wrote:Clown,

Law, are those widescreens and... did you have to force that refresh or was it in the list of options when you have "only show options for this monitor" or whatever it says selected?

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:12 pm

nonstop wrote:
law.of.averages wrote:Clown,

Law, are those widescreens and... did you have to force that refresh or was it in the list of options when you have "only show options for this monitor" or whatever it says selected?

No and No

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:03 pm

I wasn't going to ask about the Kleenex box cause I really don't want to know.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Avaris

Postby Avaris » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:11 pm

Is that an Eldar Codex? Needs moar 'Nids.

Return to “game hardware”