More computer woes....

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

ClownMajik
SpoogeMan!

More computer woes....

Postby ClownMajik » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:09 pm

So just this morning, my mother's PC decided to die today. She's got the exact same model I do. Unfortunately this is a lost cause. There was a short in the motherboard (this is the second motherboard already!) and is rendered useless. I could try to find a new board, but I've decided it's not worth the effort. I took the machine in to a local electronics shop that I really know well and trust and they are running a nice deal (I think) for a new machine. Their machines are built with all the components any custom machine would include, so no OEM this time.

What even baffled them a little is that the short is actually coming from the connection where the grounding wires (black) go to the power supply. I guess grounding wires shouldn't do this. I already tried a new supply, but either way the board is shot.

You can see the burn marks where the short was coming from here.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/ ... rboard.jpg

Anyways, there is no reason to really spend a lot of money on a new box since mum only uses hers for the internet, scanning and some work in Adobe Pagemaker.

Take a look at what the local shop here can build for me for $499. Granted it has a small HD and only a Celeron, but the price also includes a windows license and a very nice 3 year warranty on the major components. Best Buy doesn't even do that unless you pay an extra $300. I can probably mess around with the price and change a few things, but I really don't find it worth spending the time to build her a machine myself. I could save money, but this is pretty much hassle free. I bet it's still much cheaper than some piece of crap OEM machine.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/ ... /newpc.jpg

Thoughts?
"Of all the moments in my life, you were always there somewhere. Once as a wish. Once as a blessing. And now as the greatest loss I'll ever experience."

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:30 pm

That will be fine for what she wants to do.
You might want to bump that RAM to 1 GB.
Should not cost over 50.00 more
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:00 pm

integrated graphics....argh :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:04 pm

put her drive in your pc... use her money for your new pc

it's a win win situation

Return to “game hardware”