need some help with memory

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

Houdini

need some help with memory

Postby Houdini » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:41 am

I am trying to figure out if this memory is going to work. Look at the first link to the mobo down under the memory section it says it is compatable with Kingston HyperX. Then look at the second link to new egg and what I am wondering is do you think the 2GB memory above the hyperx one will also work. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=19127

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=17&N=2010170147+50001183+1052420643&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=1183&SubCategory=147

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Sir Winston Churchill, Speech at Harvard University, September 6, 1943

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:10 am

Here is a link to the latest QVL for your motherboard model.

http://usa.asus.com/100/download/produc ... 179_10.pdf

All I can say is if it's not on this list, you may have trouble. You may also have trouble if it *is* on the list, but this newer list is different than the one in your MB box.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:04 pm

yeah I read that one last night. Thats why I was wondering where they got that Kingston blurb that is on the review for the board. I wonder if the first BIOS revision is where the new memory was acceptable because Kingston is not on that list. Maybe I should email their tech support.

Well that Corsair CM2X 1024-6400 C4 is a good memory I think. I will have to look into that better safe then sorry.

Houdini

Postby Houdini » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:57 am

Law its weird both ASUS and Kingston do not refference each other in the QVL lists but this is in the description for the mobo on ASUS's site:

The Kingston HyperX PC2-8500 is high-frequency memory that delivers outstanding performance. Built with only the best components, the P5B Deluxe and PC2-8500 HyperX memory are optimized for each other to reach maximum performance. Both are validated for stability and compatibility.
*The Kingston DIMM modules are not included in ASUS motherboard package.

I am going to try it I hope it works. One good thing about the Kingston memory is that no matter the amount of overclocking you attempt it has a lifetime warranty.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:49 am

Houdini wrote:Law its weird both ASUS and Kingston do not refference each other in the QVL lists but this is in the description for the mobo on ASUS's site:

The Kingston HyperX PC2-8500 is high-frequency memory that delivers outstanding performance. Built with only the best components, the P5B Deluxe and PC2-8500 HyperX memory are optimized for each other to reach maximum performance. Both are validated for stability and compatibility.
*The Kingston DIMM modules are not included in ASUS motherboard package.

I am going to try it I hope it works. One good thing about the Kingston memory is that no matter the amount of overclocking you attempt it has a lifetime warranty.

It's not wierd at all... to get on a QVL it needs to be tested... Probably they got in a fight, and didn't send each other free hardware to test on.
It doesn't mean it won't work. It just means if it fails and you call support they're going to say "pick memory on the QVL"

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:25 am

Kingston memory is never mentioned on performance sites. Good cheap performance memory can be found from a-data, gskill these days and some higher end memory can be found from corsair, patriot, mushkin, micron, all of which seem to have modules that work with p965/975 boards right now. Look at your board and memory combinations on performance & o/c sites like ocforums, guru3d, extremeforums.

Extremeforums is a place that the real hard core post like kingpen but it attracts tons of other people comparing notes on memory, o/c, mb etc...

Good luck.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/

Return to “game hardware”