R600

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

Porkinator

R600

Postby Porkinator » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:49 am

R600 is ATI's answer for the g880gtx video card.
Here is a link to leaked test results.
In summary....

In summary, the pre-release R600 is around 5% above the current 8800GTX in most tests, except the games, where it shoots up to 20% above the NV offering
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36642
If this is true then this is the card I will use for my future system.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

FATTYLLAMA

Postby FATTYLLAMA » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:44 pm

well, seeing that ati had about 3 and a half months to observe what nvidia did with the g80, they should be a bit faster.

anyhow, i hate ati, ive had the worst experience with their cards. 9 9800 pro's, and 1 9700 pro all dead with screen corruption, broken fans, defective heatsinks that lead to smoking burned cores, defective power connectors that broke my power supplies, and i never overlocked any of them is proof enough that ati is not the graphics card company for me.

Porkinator

Postby Porkinator » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:57 am

FATTYLLAMA wrote:well, seeing that ati had about 3 and a half months to observe what nvidia did with the g80, they should be a bit faster.

anyhow, i hate ati, ive had the worst experience with their cards. 9 9800 pro's, and 1 9700 pro all dead with screen corruption, broken fans, defective heatsinks that lead to smoking burned cores, defective power connectors that broke my power supplies, and i never overlocked any of them is proof enough that ati is not the graphics card company for me.

Wow
What lucky star were you born under ?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Ace

Postby Ace » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:56 am

I've had my 9700 Pro for almost 5 years now and never had a single issue with it. 3 video upgrades later, 400 more fps, and a small fortune later, Nonstop still has trouble keeping up with "retired" Ace in game! My 9700 rocks!

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:32 pm

Ace wrote:I've had my 9700 Pro for almost 5 years now and never had a single issue with it. 3 video upgrades later, 400 more fps, and a small fortune later, Nonstop still has trouble keeping up with "retired" Ace in game! My 9700 rocks!

You're such a baiter! I'm a has been ace. Haven't been playing much for a couple months. You coming out of retirement made me go into retirement. 8)

Now, if you want to take me on at playing super mario sunshine which is what I have been helping my boys play, then you're on sucka!

FATTYLLAMA

Postby FATTYLLAMA » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:20 pm

Ace wrote:I've had my 9700 Pro for almost 5 years now and never had a single issue with it. 3 video upgrades later, 400 more fps, and a small fortune later, Nonstop still has trouble keeping up with "retired" Ace in game! My 9700 rocks!

funny, except that the 9700 pro came out in early 2003 following nvidia's geforce4 ti4600 which came out fall 2002, so the 9700 pro isnt 5 years yet =)

my 9th 9800 pro hasnt given me trouble since 2004 as most of my problems happened within weeks of each other, each card dying in different configurations of hardware, but in the past year or so the fan has been making a heavy vibrating in my case, i can feel it on my desk.

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:51 pm

pwned.
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

Ace

Postby Ace » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:25 pm

FATTYLLAMA wrote:funny, except that the 9700 pro came out in early 2003 following nvidia's geforce4 ti4600 which came out fall 2002, so the 9700 pro isnt 5 years yet =)

LOL, I get no slack on my "almost" 5 years? This is even funnier to me coming from a nVidia fan because I remember some great stories of nVidia cheating in benchmark tests back in the day! Whoops, don't need that Z-buffer. Sorry I didn't have the exact date and assumed that UT2k3 was released prior to 03....here's what I do remember....buying the card before the ti4600 and it running the UT2k3 like complete ass when it came out (wow a bitchin lifespan of a 8 months before it couldn't run current games). I upgraded to the 9700 it made the game 1000 times better but it make the game look completely different.

Believe it or not, I really don't give a sh*t about either company. I'll always buy the best value/performance card I can from whoever makes it. I think you either have the worst luck on the planet, a Walmart power supply, or have no idea how to install a video card. With the number of gamers I've gamed with, back in the day almost everybody has had one of those 9x00 cards....never heard of problems like that.

Sucks you had problems, but the life span (and I'm talking game life span) of the 9700....it's a hall of famer. Same time frame, same performance, same price....nVidia didn't come close to matching this card. Ati vs nVidia, I don't care. 3 years is a lifetime in computer terms....9700 is a great card, that is my point.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:20 pm

Ace wrote: Ati vs nVidia, I don't care. 3 years is a lifetime in computer terms....9700 is a great card, that is my point.

Agreed on both accounts. 9700 and the 9800 were warhoarses for me and many of my friends. Still are for some. Best card for the money bar none at the time and I could give a rats @ss about who's company made it. Unless you have stock in the company and are concerned about sales, who gives a flying.....
Last edited by nonstop on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:21 am

I only *just* decommissioned my 9800xt... I was already running UT2004 at near 'holy-shit' level. Now I'm 100% max on all settings

Ever since the PCI Rage Turbo Pro PC2TV, I've been an ATI customer, having may systems, and many cards. To this day, I've never had a single ATI card fail. I'll add here that I only purchased the cards actually built by ATI, and not from the Saphire's, Comp-USA's, and other 3rd party makers.

Of course having said that, the card in Law Zero is an Nvidia based card from EGA. Not because I now hate ATI, but just because the board has an Nvidia SLI chipset, and figure that eliminates *one* source of incompatability.

BeerNut

Postby BeerNut » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:09 am

I STILL am running my original 9800 (non-pro, lol) on my PC, and have never had any problems with it. Runs 2k4 and most other games great.

My brother on the other hand, did have cooling problems with his 9800XT... He tolerated pretty horrible artifacting for a while before it finally became so bad that I had to replace the heatsink on the card... This did solve the problem.

Although I don't have any particular loyalty to either ATI or Nvidia, I can understand being down on a company due to multiple bad experiences.
*Beer -&- UT*

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:51 am

BeerNut wrote:I STILL am running my original 9800 (non-pro, lol) on my PC, and have never had any problems with it. Runs 2k4 and most other games great.

My brother on the other hand, did have cooling problems with his 9800XT... He tolerated pretty horrible artifacting for a while before it finally became so bad that I had to replace the heatsink on the card... This did solve the problem.

Although I don't have any particular loyalty to either ATI or Nvidia, I can understand being down on a company due to multiple bad experiences.

Well, your point here beer is probably more of the issue. The hs/f was bad but that's the aftermarket company, not ATI's issue. Fatty may have been getting the same bad process from the same aftermarket company. Most of the stock hs/f are crap anyway.

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:09 am

nonstop wrote:
BeerNut wrote:I STILL am running my original 9800 (non-pro, lol) on my PC, and have never had any problems with it. Runs 2k4 and most other games great.

Well, your point here beer is probably more of the issue. The hs/f was bad but that's the aftermarket company, not ATI's issue. Fatty may have been getting the same bad process from the same aftermarket company. Most of the stock hs/f are crap anyway.

Quite possible, especially if purchased from the same vendor, over a narrow time frame...

Return to “game hardware”