Law Zero is now Live - in 64 bit color

What rig do you spend your time on?

Moderator: ForumModerators

law.of.averages

Law Zero is now Live - in 64 bit color

Postby law.of.averages » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:04 am

I installed the x64 version of Windows XP Pro. Both Sid and Nonstop asked about 32 bit compatability on the 64 bit OS I'll try to keep a running list as I find out what works and what doesn't. Starting with drivers. to make the list a bit cleaner I'l start with 32 or 64 indicating if the software runs in 64bit mode, or 32bit mode. 00 will mean it does not run at all.

64 - MN32-SLI Deluxe motheboard drivers (all)
64 - eVGA 7600 GTS drivers
64 - Logitec G5 Mouse drivers
00 - Ximeta NetDisk drivers (available in beta, but caused problems)
00 - OpdiTracker drivers (not available)
00 - Canon S600 printer drivers (not available)
00 - Canon N1220U scanner drivers (not available)

32 - Unreal Tournament 2004 (latest)
32 - Teamspeak RC2 2.0.32.60
32 - Microsoft Office 2003 (except the MDI writer)
32 - Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
64 - Microsoft SQL Server 2005
32 - Anarchy Online
32 - Trillian 3.1
32 - DivX 6.4 Codec / Converter / Player
Last edited by law.of.averages on Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nonstop

Re: Law Zero is now Live - in 64 bit color

Postby nonstop » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:23 am

law.of.averages wrote:I installed the x64 version of Windows XP Pro. Both Sid and Nonstop asked about 32 bit compatability on the 64 bit OS I'll try to keep a running list as I find out what works and what doesn't. Starting with drivers. to make the list a bit cleaner I'l start with 32 or 64 indicating if the software runs in 64bit mode, or 32bit mode. 00 will mean it does not run at all.

64 - MN32-SLI Deluxe motheboard drivers (all)
64 - eVGA 7600 GTS drivers
64 - Logitec G5 Mouse drivers

32 - Unreal Tournament 2004 (latest)
32 - Teamspeak RC2 2.0.32.60

xx - will mean he smashed it to bits out of frustration "Office Space" style. :P

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:33 pm

At this point, I'm going to re-install using the 32bit version of Windows XP.

There are features of Office 2003 that do not work when it's 64 bit, and they're ones I use frequently...

do-over

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:05 pm

law.of.averages wrote:At this point, I'm going to re-install using the 32bit version of Windows XP.

There are features of Office 2003 that do not work when it's 64 bit, and they're ones I use frequently...

do-over

Ah well at least we know now. I had heard much of the troubles you had in the first several months. I was hoping they were ironed out by now but until intel stops making 32 bit chips altogether it won't force companies like canon's lazy arsses to make the 64 bit ones.

Some people are really upset that vista is shipping with a 32 bit version still too. 64 bit just didn't make near the impact that 32 did over 16.

Sideous Prime
Clan Leader

Postby Sideous Prime » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:46 pm

Thanks law! yeah it's too bad that 64 bit isn't there yet, but it will be. from what i've read vista x64 is no better than xp x64. guess we'll have to wait for the hardware vendors and software vendors to play catchup.
"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:12 am

Drivers aren't necesarily MS's fault.

I could have lived without the printer/scanner as there *are* models that do have 64bit drivers. (In fact the Brother HL-2040 that the lovely Mrs. Law uses for one of her work-at-home jobs had 64bit drivers.)

The NetDisk would have been a problem but not an insurmoutable one, as I could have shared the drive from another machine and connected that way. In any case, the drivers are in beta, and will be available soon.

However when you install Office 2003 on XP x64, you don't get the "microsoft document image writer" printer driver... For a lot of people this is no big deal, but I print *tons* of stuff to .mdi files, and only use real paper when it's necessary. This I don't think I could live without, and this was the deciding factor. I could have gone with a .pdf writer instead...but I hate what Adobe has done with Acrobat and the .pdf format. To the point where, I won't install any version of acrobat reader later than 5.0.5.

And regarding 32=>64 not having the same impact of 16=>32 ... The problem there is that developers don't have a motivation to switch. Writing 16 bit code was a BITCH because you had to deal with different memory segments. 32 bit made that all go away, so in almost every company the developers were pushing for 32bit... I don't see the same motivation for 64bit.

Regarding Canon not having drivers... They do for their new models, but the stuff I have is years old. There's no money to be made writing them... I can understand that. What they *should* do is open source the existing ones so they can be upgraded by the community.

I will say almost everything else worked fine.

pewterdragn
Clan Leader

Postby pewterdragn » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:37 am

law.of.averages wrote:However when you install Office 2003 on XP x64, you don't get the "microsoft document image writer" printer driver... For a lot of people this is no big deal, but I print *tons* of stuff to .mdi files, and only use real paper when it's necessary. This I don't think I could live without, and this was the deciding factor. I could have gone with a .pdf writer instead...but I hate what Adobe has done with Acrobat and the .pdf format. To the point where, I won't install any version of acrobat reader later than 5.0.5.

Adobe isnt the only shop in town for PDF. On Windows, Foxit Reader is excellent and remarkably fast.

For PDF Writing CutePDFis excellent and works just like a printer.

Not saying better or you should stick with 64bit... just showing some apps I like ;)
1337 (_)И][× HàЖØ®§ p\/\/И

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:21 am

pewterdragn wrote:Adobe isnt the only shop in town for PDF. On Windows, Foxit Reader is excellent and remarkably fast.

Not saying better or you should stick with 64bit... just showing some apps I like ;)

I'll take a look, sometimes .PDF is a necessary evil. :-)

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:15 pm

law.of.averages wrote:
pewterdragn wrote:Adobe isnt the only shop in town for PDF. On Windows, Foxit Reader is excellent and remarkably fast.

Thanks Dragon, I may try those out myself. Law what went wrong with the newer vs. of pdf iyo?

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:23 pm

nonstop wrote:
law.of.averages wrote:

Thanks Dragon, I may try those out myself. Law what went wrong with the newer vs. of pdf iyo?

Oh it's not the .pdf format itself, but all the shit, YES SHIT that Adobe is pushing along with it. When I print that fancy new-fangled 7.0 enriched PDF

3D won't render
The animation won't animate
The sound won't be sound
The javascript won't run
Quicktime won't load
You can't click the links

So, why the hell do I need all this in my document reader?

Return to “game hardware”