New Maps for December

Anything related to our Game and Voice Servers.

Moderator: ForumModerators

Blind_Squirrel

Postby Blind_Squirrel » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:04 pm

Last Night couldn't get on at Ti and went to Purgatory server (http://www.teamresurrection.com)....anyway, they had an updated v2 of the campgrounds map that was just nicer...even at minimal savings the map just seemed to be richer, and no sacrifice in smoothness or speed--in fact just seemed faster/smoother.

Looked for it in my maplist and couldn't find it--must be here somewhere as it was downloaded. You may want to check this out?

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:20 pm

Blind,

the map you downloaded is in your cache directory and has a bunch of numbers for a name... if you look at the cache.ini file in that directory, you'll see a table that converts the cache numbered files to filenames. You can rename the file yourself and move to your maps folder to avoid having to download it again... but make sure you get the correct bunch of numbers, and rename it exactly as it's shown in cache.ini.

Blind_Squirrel

Postby Blind_Squirrel » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:23 pm

Hey Law, thanks!

I was looking around on the web and found the UT stats page, unbelievable the stuff they have there...it was a UT Comp game so showed in recently played list and the official name was:

Map DM-Campgrounds-VE2

pretty slick. Thanks man.

nonstop

Postby nonstop » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:00 pm

Or save yourself some time and download utcache 2004. It does everything law described automatically and fixes cache problems to boot.

http://www.ut2003hq.com/pafiledb2/pafil ... le&id=3889

law.of.averages

Postby law.of.averages » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:11 pm

Yea Law could have told him that... :-) Law figured it'd be better to explain how it works, before jumping into automated tools.

some tools...not to suggest that nonstop picked one of em...have the hidden purpose of stealing your cd key.

Law, being from the small village of "Out to get me" on the island of "Paranoia" shuns all such tools that he doesn't create himself.

Sôöpâ Shäwtÿ

Postby Sôöpâ Shäwtÿ » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:00 am

I don't know what everyone likes about the VE2 version. I hate how they switched the 50a and 100a. Should've been left alone.

Blind_Squirrel

Postby Blind_Squirrel » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:26 pm

Thanks all for the input.

I do appreciate knowing the background...I am a dumbass with the behind the scenes stuff, but learning...things are slightly different on the mac.

Also, nonstop, appreciated your idea, a little light went on and reminded me of some tool in the Santaduck toolpack called cacheout...and it did as you described.

As far as the map difference w/ VE2 I don't know if it was me or the server or what but it was just so smooth, I felt like I had someone else's machine...could just have been low ping/low network traffic/good server coinciding w/ the map...but that's purely anecdotal...BUT they don't have you guys (and girls)!!

Return to “ut: server stuff”